Monday, January 10, 2011

I can't count on this kind of luck all the time...

So let me just sum up the weekend:

Foodstravaganza.

Yeah, I made that word up.

So Friday morning was Nick's Christmas pageant. (Rescheduled from a snow day before Christmas break.) Donuts, cookies, brownies everywhere.

Nick wanted McDonalds for lunch, which I initially refused, but then he fell and cracked his head on the bookcase in my living room, and I felt so badly for him when he looked up at me tearfully and said, "Mommy, I just wanted to go get some French fries." So we did.

For dinner, my darling husband took me to Cheeseburger in Paradise, one of those chain restaurants where the food is awesome -- and awesomely bad for you. Blue cheese burger, meet Brigid.

Saturday: Costco pizza with Mom for lunch. Dinner was pretty good: chicken breasts, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

Sunday, I took the train to New York City to have lunch with my awesome agent, Tamar Rydzinski, and my awesome friend Sarah Maas. (I'll write about that on my regular blog later today.)

On the way to the train station, we stopped at Dunkin Donuts. At the restaurant, I had tri-colored gnocchi with gorgonzola cheese sauce, followed by a chocolate whiskey cake for dessert. Amazing? Yes. It was incredible. Low-cal? Hahahahahahaha. No effing way.

But I got on the scale this morning and it hasn't moved since Friday. I'm still down those 2.2 pounds.

I'm going to try to get on a treadmill this evening and see how it goes.

How about you guys? How did your weekends go?

And here, since I don't want to leave you with a useless post about my food intake (are you still awake?), here's a quick and easy way to make delicious chicken:

Brigid's Easy Chicken

Heat a deep frying pan to medium heat. (I use a cast iron skillet with high sides.) Add 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil.

Chop up a yellow onion and throw it in the frying pan. I don't even bother chopping the pieces tiny; just enough that they're small enough to cook.

Throw some salt and pepper in there, stir the onion around for a while until it looks like it's just starting to brown.

Lay chicken breasts or chicken breast strips across the cooking onion. (I use the Perdue Perfect Portions, since they're individually wrapped, or I get the 99% fat free chicken strips. If you live alone, the Perfect Portions are...um, perfect...because this recipe works equally well for one chicken breast or five.)

More salt and pepper. I've also added Rosemary, but my husband wasn't a fan.

Cook the chicken about 6 minutes on each side until it's cooked all the way through.

This entire recipe takes about 15 minutes total. It's faster (and easier, in my opinion) than making Shake-and-Bake. And even if you have someone who hates onion (like my husband), they don't have to eat them. They're just in the pan for flavor.

Give it a whirl. Let me know how it turns out.

If anyone else has some easy recipes, let me know. I'd love to post them on the blog. Feel free to email me at brigidmary@gmail.com.

By the way, I LOVE all the comments with ideas, encouragement, and just general chatting. I can't get into blogger from work, so I can't respond during the day, but I read all of them when I get home in the evening. You guys are AWESOME. Thanks for doing this right along with me!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us about your fab food weekend ... but now I'm hungry. I love all those terrible-for-you things, but for now, I'm steering clear. Oh, except for tonight. Husband's birthday = key lime pie. I guess I should fire up the Wii Fit right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been CRAVING meat. And not just meat, ( I had half a portion of chicken for lunch) but greasy, dripping red meat. On my way home I pass about 20 places that make doner, (rotisserie beef, basically, usually served on half a loaf of bread with all the Turkish fixins including homemade pickles, onionlettucetomato, mayo, ketchup, and... wait for it... french fries that have been soaking in the pan beneath the rotisserie, soaking up all the meat grease) and a place that sells kofte, (meatballs) on skewers, in a cone full of french fries, with any toppings you want. for TRL7.5, which equals about 4 bucks.
    I did not have any. I bought fifty grams of peanuts to satisfy my apparent iron craving, and when I got home I had a cube of lowfat cheese and a glass of red wine cut with seltzer.
    Do I deserve a medal for this?
    YES, I GODDAMNED DO.

    ReplyDelete